A Non-Stick cookware set is a must-have item in every kitchen. It’s a useful kitchen accessory that continues to improve and adopt different technologies and different types of nonstick coatings. It’ll be a smart step to understand the types of nonstick coatings which are being used nowadays.
This will help you in choosing the perfect fit for your use as per the requirement. So here is the article that will include the details of a few best non-stick pan materials.
Nowadays, as technology has achieved huge success in every area, kitchen appliances also came into this technological wave. There are several kinds of non-stick coatings on the pan that are available in the market to choose from.
Some common non-stick coating materials are Polytetrafluoroethylene(PTFE), Ceramic coatings, Silicon coatings, Superhydrophobic, Enameled cast iron coatings, and many more. There are also less used non-stick pan materials which include Anodized Aluminum coating and seasoned cast iron coating.
Now we will discuss all the non-stick pan material. Through this article, you will gain a wholesome ideology on the nonstick pan material so that you can choose from the options as per your requirement.
Different Types of Non-Stick Coatings For Pans
- Ceramic Coating (Sol-Gel)
Ceramic coatings came into the limelight after 1960. It became a massive alternative to PTFE coatings. To produce ceramic coating, there is a huge process. Ceramic coating is made from silica or clay which is hardened along with binders, oxygen, reinforcing chemicals, and the required amount of colors.
Though initially cadmium and lead were used to coat the nonstick pans, later it was found that these two materials are toxic and have a worse effect on humans.
Nowadays, all the ceramic coating is free from PTFE/PFOA. That’s why ceramic-coated Non-Stick pans are now a great choice in each and every household. This coating also doesn’t leach a single pinch of chemicals in the food while being heated.
But as we know, there are always some drawbacks besides the upsides. This ceramic coating is not that long-lasting and durable. It will wear off easily if it is scrubbed lightly. You can use a new coating for a max to max one year. That’s why it can’t be a good choice for a few people.
So if you are searching for the best non-stick pan material, ceramic coating can be a great choice. It will not interfere with your health and will not add any toxic substances to your food as well. This cookware is eco-friendly. One thing you have to remember is, use a wooden spatula or silicone utensils to cook in this ceramic-coated Non-Stick pan. Use your hand and normal room temperature water to wash the pan. Also, remember don’t overheat the pan to keep the protective coat for a long time.
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) Coating
This is the traditional nonstick coating. PTFE coatings are very slippery which makes it an easy nonsticky pan. But this Polytetrafluoroethylene is not good for health. Here are some issues that can be held to the human body. Such as
- chronic kidney disease
- negative impact on a male’s reproductive system.
Also when it is heated, Polytetrafluoroethylene omits toxic fumes, which is injurious to inhale. There is a margin temperature, beyond which this coating can’t be used. So this
Polytetrafluoroethylene is supposed to use only in low-temperature cooking procedures.
Here are some of the tips that can reduce the exposure to harmful toxic substances from PTFE:
- Don’t heat an empty PTFE-coated pan. If this is done, it overheats very quickly and will release fumes harmful to human inhaling.
- Don’t even try to heat over 260 degrees. It will damage the nonstick pan quickly. If you want to increase the longevity of the nonstick pan, use low-temperature cooking skills.
- If you come across a scratch on the surface, immediately change the nonstick pan. You can also use PTFE spray to recoat this.
- Always clean the nonstick pan with your hand. This will remain safe while using.
- Don’t use metal utensils to cook. Always use wooden or silicone utensils that will not scratch the surface.
- Superhydrophobic coatings
Though superhydrophobic coatings are not very common in the market, a few manufacturers have started the usage of this. You can say this is the would-be market holder of nonstick pan material as it has a nanoscopic layer that resists water into the cooking pan.
Here are a few materials that are used to produce this hydrophobic coating.
- Zinc oxide polystyrene
- precipitated calcium carbonate
- carbon nano-tube substances
- Manganese oxide polystyrene
- Silicone Non-stick Coating
Silicone is a durable extract of silica. This produces a flexible nonstick coating. In general, these silicone-coated pans are used in baking. But in normal cooking utensils, this is also used.
Silicon is blended with methyl chloride and water which creates polydimethylsiloxane. This is a silicon rubber that comes from sand. This silicone rubber is heated up to 1800 degrees Celsius. After all these methods, this is paired up with water to produce the final material that is rubber silicon. This is what you can see while using the Non-Stick pans.
This silicone rubber is very much helpful and nontoxic for any cooking procedure. One can use a silicone-coated cooking pan up to 300 degrees. Also, these silicone coatings do not release any injurious fumes. FDA also announced this material as a safe material for cooking. The pure silicone rubber coating is nontoxic. There is no such reaction to any alkaline food too.
Due to all the facts, silicone coatings on Non-Stick pans are considered one of the best and safe coatings. Try to use high-quality silicone.
But when you are using silicone coatings on the cooking pan, you need to remember a few things. Such as:
- Silicone is not completely nonstick coating. So always use flour or oil beforehand cooking and baking on the pan.
- If you want to use a sturdy or hard mold for baking your favorite cake or a delicious muffin, try to use any other substances. Because silicone is not firm cookware.
- Always use oven mitts to take out the silicone cookware from the oven. Silicone can absorb high heat. So the whole pot can retain heat and get too much hot.
- Always use a rubber spatula in the silicon pan. So it will be away from any scratch and puncture. If scratches and punctures come to the cooking pan, they will be useless.
- Enameled Cast Iron
This is one of the traditional processes to coat the cast iron. Most professional chefs are very fond of the enameled cast iron pans. There is a fine process to produce enameled cast iron. This is made by mixing powdered glass with the base of the cast iron cookware. Then this is heated to a high temperature. Nearly in 700- 850 degrees, the powdered glass melts. After melting, it lay down on the cookware surface to create a smooth cooking surface.
This cookware coat is one of the safest cookware coats. Also, this is economical and eco-friendly. But this cookware is pretty expensive as the material is a durable and quite strong sturdy material. This enameled cast iron prevents the iron to leech into the food while cooking. This makes it safe for humans.
- Seasoned Cast Iron Coating
Cast iron is always in the topmost favorite piece of cookware. Because it is safe to use. Also, it has no harmful chemicals that can injure one’s health. Any cooking process including frying, cooking, and searing- seasoned cast iron is quite impressive.
This should be seasoned to create a non-stick surface. Seasoning is basically done by spreading and heating oil into the pan. This oil will create a smooth surface. This is called seasoned cast iron.
You need to take care of your seasoned cast iron in a proper manner. You have to keep seasoned your Non-Stick pan surface.
Now we will talk about the detailed process of seasoning.
- First, the cast iron is cleaned so that all the other coats are removed properly.
- Now oil should be drizzled on the pan as per requirement.
- The pan should be heated in the oven at 260 °C (500 °F) for 30 minutes.
- Anodized Aluminum Coating
A proper anodized aluminum-coated non-stick pan is another safe cookware to be used. In this process, the Aluminum is mixed in an acid to create Aluminum Oxide which lays down as a smoother surface. All the aluminum surfaces are very common nowadays in each and every household. Also, these cookwares are very economical to afford.
Always go for a premium quality aluminum-coated pan that will prevent leeching aluminum into the cooked food. You can feel free to cook on this pan as the anodized aluminum coating is also nonreactive to any food.
You can ensure safety measures by using a wooden spatula.
Process of Recoating A Non-Stick Pan
Always keep in mind to use your Non-Stick pan safely while cooking. If you come across any signs of peeling off and scratches, you should immediately take steps to recoat the nonstick pan.
Always clean the Non-Stick pans properly. Don’t your hard brush to clean the surface. Try to use a mild soap and a soft cloth to clean. You can also use a sponge to clean.
Now we will talk about a few methods of Recoating the nonstick pans.
Those are mentioned below:
- Use a Non-stick coating spray
- Take the Non-Stick pan to a company or a shop which is specialized in coating Teflon nonstick pans.
- If the peeling off happened within the brand’s warranty period, then send it back to the company. They will take care of it.
Among all the processes, Non-Stick coating spray is the easiest way to restore the nonstick surface. Nonstick coating spray is easily available in the market. If you want to prolong the longevity of the Non-Stick Coatings, then you must use the coating spray regularly.
Hope you walked through a detailed path of ideas on the best nonstick pan materials. Surely you can choose the perfect one as per your requirement in the cooking industry.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
- Which are the different types of non-stick coatings?
- Ceramic Coating
- Polytetrafluoroethylene Coating.
- Superhydrophobic coatings.
- Silicone Non-stick Coating.
- Enameled Cast Iron.
- Seasoned Cast Iron Coating.
- Anodized Aluminum Coating.
- What is Teflon coated?
Teflon is not a product on its own. It is the brand name of the products. It is a nonstick, waterproof, noncorrosive, and non-reactive surface.
- Is PTFE nonstick coating safe?
PTFE is not a safe coat. It leads to chronic kidney diseases, cancer, and other health problems.
- Which non-stick coating is durable?
If you really want to use a durable nonstick coating, then you must go for aluminum-coated cookware or stainless steel coats.
- What is the cause the ceramic pans lose their nonstick?
The first and foremost cause of losing the nonstick coats is the high usage of metal spatulas or utensils in the nonstick pans. Metal spatula always causes scratches and peeling off the nonstick coats.